Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Fairy Bat Tales

Welcome to the Changeling Treehouse! My name's Aiyanne, I love fairy tales and this blog gives me a reason to read more about them!

If you've taken the time to read about Ashlyn, Curio and the Fairy Bats, then I'm very grateful. It's not necessary to read their story in order to understand this blog, but writing it and incorporating it makes things more fun for me! I hope to write more about my characters soon, but for now, I need to fill this space with fairy tales!


What's the point?

I want to put the spotlight on traditional fairy tales we've inherited, because I think they're interesting. I think it's interesting that Cinderella had originally been given fur slippers, not glass slippers. I think it's interesting that Rapunzel is named Rapunzel, because her parents stole lettuce from the witch's garden. I also think it's interesting there's a Brothers Grimm fairy tale about a maiden with no hands and another on why dogs like to smell one another (haven't got my head around that one yet).

So, if any of that peaked your interest, then you won't be disappointed with this blog.


What will you post?

For every fairy tale I choose to research, I will:
  • Re-tell the story in my own words
  • Design and draw the tale's main character(s)
  • Gather interesting facts about the tale

What do you know?

Not a lot!

I'm not passing myself off as a fairy tale expert - I'm just a fan. If you're interested in using the information on this blog for study, be advised that I will not be held responsible for inaccuracies. I would like to direct the serious researcher to my Sources page, which lists many reliable books on the study of fairy tales and children's literature.

The only thing I can say in my favour is that I have a degree in English and Creative Writing. One of the modules I studied (for a few months) was Children's Literature, which involved looking at traditional fairy tales. I still have all the books I needed for the course, so might as well dust them and read them again!


What now?

Clearly, I've given myself too much to do, so better get started. If you have any questions, please ask them in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment