Saturday, 14 May 2016

Post Update: Magical Items to Survive Grimm Brothers’ Fairyland (Type 8)

I was carrying out research for my upcoming 'Magical Items' post when I revisited 'The Golden Children' and realised I overlooked a Gold Animal: the Golden Fish! Not surprising, I suppose, seeing as prep for the 'Magical Items' series involved skim-reading every single Brothers Grimm tale...

I actually remember giving the Golden Fish a pass, because it could talk. The fact it could speak made it appear more like a genie figure, and it was also very similar to the magical fish (which called itself an enchanted prince) in 'The Fisherman and his Wife'. It just so happens that Kristin at Tales of Faerie touched upon 'The Fisherman and his Wife' in her recent blog post 'Fairy Tales about Contentment'.

Having written about Gold Animals though, I couldn't overlook the Golden Fish again. The magical creature was similar to the Golden Bird, not only because it was made out of gold, but because eating it brought some form of wealth or fortune.

You can read about it now in my updated post: Magical Items to Survive Grimm Brothers’ Fairyland (Type 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment